DIOCESAN EVANGELISM UNIT
The Diocesan Evangelism Unit, which was established in 1988 as a response to the Anglican Decade of Evangelism, seeks to offer parishes creative opportunities to enable Anglicans to become bolder and more effective in sharing the good news of Christ for the 21st Century. Its basic mission remains “to support and encourage parishes in the doing of evangelism.” Over the years, the Unit has organized and promoted conferences, workshops, missions, advertising campaigns and other initiatives within the Diocese of New Westminster.
While John Oakes was Chair, the Evangelism Unit held the following special events:
- The “Evangelism 2000” training programme.
- The “Celebration 2000” mission with Canon Harold Percy at the Vogue Theatre.
- “Good News for the Poor” conference and mission on evangelism and social justice with Dr. Tony Campolo in 2001.
- “A Heart for the World” on world missions with Linda Tripp of World Vision in 2002.
- “A Time to Heal” on evangelism and healing with Dr. Bob Roxburgh of Southside Community Church in 2003.
- The “Word Up!” youth weekend in November 2004.
- Working with diocesan youth leaders to establish the WAYNet network and other initiatives.
- The “Faith @ Work” conference with Dr. Paul Stevens, co-sponsored by City in Focus, in 2006.
- “Parish Alive!” with Canon Harold Percy in 2006.
- “All God’s Children” with Carolyn Burge in October 2007.
- “Reaching Up! Reaching Out!” with Judy Paulsen in November 2010.
- “The Missional Church – Moving from Maintenance to Mission,” with Anthony Brown and Cam Roxburgh in January 2011.
Some of the most colourful posters from these events are posted on the attached “Events Gallery” page.